Coconut milk, water, flour, oil, shavings, chips, and even coconut cooking spray… If it’s coconut, we have it in our kitchen! We absolutely love coconuts, not just for their flavor, but their health benefits!
Yes, coconuts (specifically the oil and milk) do contain a lot of saturated fat, which can scare people away, but not all saturated fats are bad. In fact, the coconut is a healthy fat and has powerful antioxidants. As a result, coconuts are known to:
- Aid in Weight Loss
- Improve Digestion
- Increase Metabolism
- Increase Energy
- Curb Hunger
- Ward off Wrinkles
- Improve Hair and Skin Health
- Fight Infections
- Kill Bacteria
- Lower Cholesterol
- Can aid in preventing brain disorders, like Alzheimer’s
- And more!
Now you see why we love coconuts so much? In order to reap the benefits of coconuts, here are the different ways in which you can consume and purchase them:
- The most obvious one, buy a whole coconut!
- Coconut Oil (can use in cooking and baking)
- Coconut Water (great drink to replenish electrolytes after and during a long workout)
- Full Fat Coconut Milk (we use this occasionally to make some desserts from the nutrition plan)
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk (from a carton for drinking, oatmeals, smoothies, and chia puddings)
- Coconut Flour
- Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes and Chips
- Coconut Cooking Spray
- Coconut Meat (or Coconut Butter or Mana)
Check out some of our recipes below using coconut:
Aside from cooking, baking, and snacking, coconut oil specifically has some other great uses! You can use it as:
- Body Oil. Just scoop some out and use as you would a moisturizer. Great for dry and cracked feet too!
- Lip Balm
- Under eye cream
- After Shave
- Hair mask. Massage a little oil through your hair to help it stay healthy and shiny (rinse thoroughly), or use to tame any fly away hairs.
- Make-up remover
- Bug Bite Aid. Have an itchy bite? Rub a little coconut oil over the area
Have you used coconut for something besides cooking? Share below and let us know!
If you want more recipes using coconut and other superfoods, check out our nutrition plans at the “Get Started” link below. When you purchase a plan, you will instantly receive it as an e-book, ready to download and take with you wherever you go!
Sample recipes from lifetime nutrition plan
Sample images from lifetime nutrition plan